Marty Rodriguez Century 21 Real Estate

If You’re in the Market for a Really Big Diamond, Mickey Can Point You in the Right Direction

January 20, 2012
Share this story:

Mickey in the sky with Diamonds?

Mickey in the sky with Diamonds?

It turns out that Mickey Rehm, owner of Micky’s Jewelry Studio in La Verne, not only will clean your diamonds at no charge, she’ll even share a story or two about the brilliant precious gem.

It turns out that a team of astronomers have discovered a planet 4,000 light years away in the constellation Serpens, whose high pressure has likely caused the carbon within it to crystallize into diamond.

The planet, known as PSR J1719-1438, is five times the size of Earth, and rotates around a flashing star known as a very fast-spinning pulsar—what’s called a millisecond pulsar (for those of you who don’t have a degree in astrophysics, a pulsar is a neutron star that emits beams of radiation that sweep through Earth’s line of sight).

 

The team believes that the planet is all that remains of a once-massive star, most of whose matter was siphoned off by the pulsar. The pulsar and its planet are part of the Milky Way’s plane of stars. A year on the planet lasts just two hours and 10 minutes.

 

Diamond is in many places out there because it is so abundant in the universe. Diamond is the only gem made of a single element: carbon Diamond is typically about 99.95 percent carbon. The other 0.05 percent can include one or more trace elements.  Carbon is also the fourth most common element in the universe, so if you had the right temperature and the right pressure somewhere, a diamond could be the result.

To hear the story or simply to have your diamond cleaned, stop by Micky’s at 2210 Foothill Blvd. in La Verne. You can also call (909) 593-0748 or visit her online at www.mickysjewelrystudio.com.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.